Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

mallalamuseum.gif

OPEN SUNDAYS

2.00 - 4.30pm.

Other times

by appointment.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

Mallala Telephone Exchange

From Mallala
Revision as of 16:37, 13 October 2009 by Marcus (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Building The first manual telephone switchboard was at the Mallala Post Office and the female telephonists worked shifts during the day. A young man slept on the premises from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. to answer any calls, but no one would phone during those hours unless in an emergency. The first subscriber in 1913 was East Bros & Co Pty Ltd. their number being Mallala 1. The manual switchboard was later used in the Mallala Telephone Exchange which was situated at 4 Red Banks Rd.

In the early days a network of telephone lines spread out to connecting points, from which farmers would rig up their own lines to their properties.Often a single line to a property was shared by several neighbouring properties. Known as "the party line" the recipient of the call was alerted by their own individual ring tone.  The party line meant that no conversation could be kept private and news of births, marriages, deaths and disasters often spread quickly through the local community. Despite any disadvantages, for families remote from one another, the telephone eased the burden of isolation and was invaluable in times of emergency.

The girls working the exchange played a valuable role as they could communicate with the subscriber and offer assistance in an emergency.

The Mallala exchange was converted to automatic computer operation on 18th June 1980.

The manual switchboard is now an exhibit in the Mallala Museum.

Related Articles

External Links

Sources

  • Mallala Museum records
Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share