Pinery Hall
Template:Building The Pinery Hall, purchased from Thomas Laurie in 1936, was the old school building.
An organization named the Pinery Centenary Hall Project Committee was formed. The committee elected were as follows: President Mr T. Dunstan, Vice presidents Messrs Ronald Williams and Alfred Wedding, Joint secretaries G.West and D. Bird, Treasurer Mr Harold Laurie, and Cyril Blacket, Mesdames R. Bowhey, F. Ford, and Misses Beryl Adams and Myrtle Hall.The first function was a social evening with concert items, games, cards, and dancing. Rodeos were also run to raise money.
The hall was extended to twice its size and reopened on 4th July 1940 by Hon. A.L. McEwin, Chief Secretary. On this special occasion there was a football match in the afternoon and a ball held at night with music by Angel's Dance Band.
In 1967 this building was demolished to make way for an attractive new hall that was built for $8,373.00.The new hall was officially opened on 11th May 1967 by Steele Hall M.P.
A ball was held at night to celebrate the occasion.
An Honour Roll with the names of the Pinery and District World War Two ex service men and women was unveiled by Phillip McBridde, MHR, on 26th August 1949. This Honour Roll was later moved to the new Pinery Hall.
On 12th December 1971 a "Back to Pinery" celebration was held to mark the closure of the Pinery School. At this celebration, the President of the school committee Mr Graham Heaslip presented the World War One Honour Roll (which had been hanging in the Pinery School) to the President of the Pinery Hall Committee Mr Glen Adams, to be hung in the new Pinery Hall.
Today these Honour Rolls remind us of the service given to Australia by the Pinery citizens.
Memories of Pinery Hall
Information about the Pinery Hall was taken from the book "People of the Plains" by Jean V. Wood.
Do you remember Pinery Hall ? Join up and add your memory here.
Flickr Error ( Not a valid ID ): PhotoID not numeric
Print
Subscribe by RSS
