Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

mallalamuseum.gif

OPEN SUNDAYS

2.00 - 4.30pm.

Other times

by appointment.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

Long Plains Church of Christ

From Mallala
Revision as of 20:21, 28 March 2010 by Gwenda (Talk | contribs) (Created page with '{{Organisation |SubCategory=Religious |StreetSuffix=Section 373 Hundred of Dublin |DateEstablished=1903 |CeasedOperation=22 january 1948 |EstablishedBy=a group of brethren |Busin…')

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Type of organisation: Religious


Street suffix: Section 373 Hundred of Dublin
Date established:
"{{{Date approximate}}}" is not recognized as a Boolean (true/false) value.
1903
Ceased operation:
  • "{{{Date approximate2}}}" is not recognized as a Boolean (true/false) value.
  • "{{{Date approximate}}}" is not recognized as a Boolean (true/false) value.
The date "22 january 1948" was not understood.
Established by: a group of brethren
Business or purpose: Religious Services and education
Loading map...
  • The following coordinate was not recognized: div><span class="errorbox">Fatal error: Failed to parse or geocode</span></div><br /><br />.
  • "{{{Date approximate2}}}" is not recognized as a Boolean (true/false) value.
  • "{{{Date approximate}}}" is not recognized as a Boolean (true/false) value.

In 1881 at a meeting held at the Mallala Church of Christ, a motion was passed "that the brethren at Long Plains be at liberty to form themselves into a separate church.

Thirty nine people who had been on the roll from the western district  transferred to the newly formed church. The group met in homes for many years and it was not until 1903 that a church building was erected on a corner of W.H. Parker's property, section 373 Hundred of Dublin.

On January 22nd 1948 the chapel was destroyed in the disasterous fire that swept through the district. Servfices continued to be held in the Long Plains Soldiers' Memorial Hall. Section 373 was returned to A.L. Parker.

A new chapel was built of stone on land donated by Mr D. J. Daniel next to the Memorial Hall in Long Plains, and was declared open on 11th April 1953.

Due to declining membership the Long Plains Church of Christ closed in January 1981 with the remaining members transfering to nearby congregations.



External Links

Sources

  • "Life around the Light"  A History of the Mallala District Council Area. Published in 1985.
Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share