Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

mallalamuseum.gif

OPEN SUNDAYS

2.00 - 4.30pm.

Other times

by appointment.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

Barabba School

From Mallala
Revision as of 19:08, 10 January 2013 by Marcus (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Type of organisation: Government
Also known as: Barabba Rural School
Street number: Corner Wood Rd.
Street name: Barabba .
Street suffix: Road
Town or locality: Barabba
Date established: 1875
Ceased operation: 1968
Established by: State Government
Business or purpose: Education
Loading map...

On the 23rd. February 1875 land was set aside for the site of the Barabba School and the area comprised two roods 24 perches.

In 1876 tenders were called for the building of the school room and residence. The school room was completed and open for pupils in April 1877 but the residence was not built until 1885. Until this time the head teacher and his family lived in a small house just north of the Barabba Primitive Methodist Church.

In a speech made by Mr J. Dow at the "Back to Barabba" celebrations in 1945 he states:  "The residents applied for a site for a school and they were granted a piece of land of about 1 acre. As it was Government Reserve land at the time, the residents said that they would like to have 5 acres. More land was acquired in October 1876.

When the residents of Barabba applied to have a school they were told they would have to raise 100 pound. This was duly done and 80 pound was forwarded toward the cost of the school house, 16 pound for the cost of fencing and 4 pound for an underground rainwater tank.
The S.A. Government Gazette of October 5th 1876 states that the tender of Hague and Lake for a school-house and residence was accepted"

The school opened in April 1877 but no Admission Register exists prior to 1883 at which time there were 58 children on the roll.

In 1898 Miss Amelia White was appointed to Barabba School as head teacher having been transferred from Watts Range School. She was accompanied by her mother and sister. This began a period of stability as Miss White remained at Barabba School until 1926 when she left the Education Department to marry and live in Western Australia. So ended a remarkable teaching career of 28 years at the Barabba School and involvement in the community.

On October 5th 1901 The Chronicle stated: "On Friday, the 10th annual schools picnic was held at Owen - adjacent to the railway line. The schools participating were Alma South, Alma North, Barabba, Dalkey Hill, Hundred of Dalkey, Owen, Pinery and Salters Springs. About 200 scholars were present and with parents and friends the company numbered 500. A programme of sports for the children was carried out and also elocutionary items and singing competitions."

The combined schools picnic at Owen continued to be a popular event.

In 1903 The Country Correspondence wrote:  "On Friday 2nd October people began to put in an appearance at 9.30 am. arriving from all points of the compass on bikes, horseback, spring carts, spring drays, spring vans and vans without springs! Buggies from the most up to date Marnie to the old family wagonette, to say nothing of sulkies and dog carts. The morning train also adding to the visitors. The city Volunteer Band provided music for the occasion."

On December 12th 1913 the first examinations were implemented for the Qualifying Certificate (called the QC) replacing the Class 5 certificate.

This examination was duly replaced by the Progress Certificate in 1944.

On December 12th 1968 notice was received from the Director of Education that approval had been granted for the closing of the Barabba School as from the end of the school term 1968. |- ! Teachers ! Date Commenced ! Date Departed |- | Alexander Lawson | 1878 | 1879 |- | Henry Allport | 1880 | Sept. 30th 1882 |- | John Young | 1882 | 1883 |- | Margaret M. W. Myles | 1884 | 1885 |- | William Phillips | 1886 | 1888 |- | Elizabeth A. Poulton | 1889 | 1892 |- | Carl F.W. Hese | Oct 3rd 1892 | May 8th 1898 |- | Amelia White | May 1898 | September 6th. 1926 |- | John P. Trainer | Sept 7th 1926 | May 15th 1937 |- | Henry L. Jacobs | May 16th 1937 | 1941 |- | Geoffrey E.H. Glover | 1942 | Sept 10th 1945 |- | Rex M. Wilson | Sept 11th 1945 | 1947 |- | Sydney G. McRostie | 1948 | 1955 |- | Alexander J. Millikin | 1956 | 1959 |- | Leon G. Hutchinson | 1960 | 1963 |- | Gwen Loveridge | 1964 | August 28th 1965 |- | Alec J. Harris | August | December 1965 |- | Gerald W.D. Roberts | 1966 | 1968 |-

Related Articles

Sources

  • Barabba School Scrapbook compiled by Glenys Edwards (nee Gregory)
Barabba PrimarySchool and School House
Barabba PrimarySchool and School House
The Barabba School with three girls sitting on a tree stump
The Barabba School with three girls sitting on a tree stump
The Barabba School with three boys of the Roberts Family seated on a tree stump.
The Barabba School with three boys of the Roberts Family seated on a tree stump.
Barabba School, South Australia
Barabba School, South Australia
Barabba Rural School 1964
Barabba Rural School 1964
Barabba cairn
Barabba cairn
Gwen Loveridge, the teacher, with the pupils at the Barabba School
Gwen Loveridge, the teacher, with the pupils at the Barabba School


Memories of Barabba School


Do you remember Barabba School ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share