Difference between revisions of "Wild Horse Plains Institute"
| Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{Place | {{Place | ||
|Places category=Building | |Places category=Building | ||
| − | |||
|Town or Locality=Wild Horse Plains | |Town or Locality=Wild Horse Plains | ||
|Geocoordinates=-34.3605134923, 138.293194771 | |Geocoordinates=-34.3605134923, 138.293194771 | ||
| Line 7: | Line 6: | ||
|Date approximate2=No | |Date approximate2=No | ||
}} | }} | ||
| − | The town of Wild Horse Plains was laid out in the area identified as of part section 20 of the Hundred of Dublin. Harold Addison a surveyor and William Paddock an agent purchased the land in October 1881 and surveyed it into 58 allotments and later allotment 37 was donated to accommodate an institute. In 1884 the residents decided to form a committee to plan the erection of a building which would serve as a meeting place. | + | The town of Wild Horse Plains was laid out in the area identified as of part section 20 of the Hundred of Dublin. Harold Addison a surveyor and William Paddock an agent purchased the land in October 1881 and surveyed it into 58 allotments and later allotment 37 measuring half an acre was in the centre of the township and was donated to accommodate an institute. In 1884 the residents decided to form a committee to plan the erection of a building which would serve as a meeting place. |
On the 4th of November 1884 the foundation stone was laid by Mr Robert Barr. It was decided voluntary labour would be used to raise 140 yards of stone and 100 yards of sand and cart it to the building site. The contractor Mr J C Burton was assisted with voluntary labour so that the building cost would be kept to a minimum. | On the 4th of November 1884 the foundation stone was laid by Mr Robert Barr. It was decided voluntary labour would be used to raise 140 yards of stone and 100 yards of sand and cart it to the building site. The contractor Mr J C Burton was assisted with voluntary labour so that the building cost would be kept to a minimum. | ||
| + | |||
| + | The cost of the building was expected to be 500 pounds but due to the high cost of water and labour the final amount was higher. | ||
The formal opening of the building was celebrated on Good Friday in April 1885. This well ventilated building which had a main hall measuring 45 feet long and 27 feet wide and a platform at one end was a great achievement for the communty. | The formal opening of the building was celebrated on Good Friday in April 1885. This well ventilated building which had a main hall measuring 45 feet long and 27 feet wide and a platform at one end was a great achievement for the communty. | ||
| Line 18: | Line 19: | ||
The picnic held in the adjoining grounds saw an attendance of over 600 people enjoying the sporting events. In the evening the tea and an entertainment programme continued the celebration. At the close of the entertainment a supper was held which was followed by a ball. | The picnic held in the adjoining grounds saw an attendance of over 600 people enjoying the sporting events. In the evening the tea and an entertainment programme continued the celebration. At the close of the entertainment a supper was held which was followed by a ball. | ||
| + | |||
| + | Over the years the Institute held many different functions. On April 23rd 1919 a welcome home social was tendered to Privates G. Ranko and L. Cornford. Mr A.B. Moore presided over a large attendance and addresses were given by the chairman and Messrs H.P. McArdle, F. McArdle, C. Rundle, F. Wilkins and W. Dunlop. On behalf of the Inkerman friends Mr G. Peters presented Private Ranko with a gold watch. | ||
{{Info | {{Info | ||
| − | |Related Articles=Dublin Institute, Long Plains Memorial Hall, Mallala Institute, Two Wells Institute, Windsor Institute, Pinery Hall, | + | |Related Articles=Dublin Institute, Long Plains Memorial Hall, Mallala Institute, Two Wells Institute, Windsor Institute, Pinery Hall, |
}} | }} | ||
{{MemoryHeader}} | {{MemoryHeader}} | ||
{{Memory|A record was launched at the Wild Horse Plains Institute in late 1960's early 1970's with Greg Champion as one of the muso's and with the assistance of Trev Warner was recorded in a Adelaide studio .Can you assist with any more info???}} | {{Memory|A record was launched at the Wild Horse Plains Institute in late 1960's early 1970's with Greg Champion as one of the muso's and with the assistance of Trev Warner was recorded in a Adelaide studio .Can you assist with any more info???}} | ||
{{MemoryFooter}} | {{MemoryFooter}} | ||
Revision as of 19:47, 26 April 2019
| Town or Locality: | Wild Horse Plains |
|---|
The town of Wild Horse Plains was laid out in the area identified as of part section 20 of the Hundred of Dublin. Harold Addison a surveyor and William Paddock an agent purchased the land in October 1881 and surveyed it into 58 allotments and later allotment 37 measuring half an acre was in the centre of the township and was donated to accommodate an institute. In 1884 the residents decided to form a committee to plan the erection of a building which would serve as a meeting place.
On the 4th of November 1884 the foundation stone was laid by Mr Robert Barr. It was decided voluntary labour would be used to raise 140 yards of stone and 100 yards of sand and cart it to the building site. The contractor Mr J C Burton was assisted with voluntary labour so that the building cost would be kept to a minimum.
The cost of the building was expected to be 500 pounds but due to the high cost of water and labour the final amount was higher.
The formal opening of the building was celebrated on Good Friday in April 1885. This well ventilated building which had a main hall measuring 45 feet long and 27 feet wide and a platform at one end was a great achievement for the communty.
A dinner for 200 members of the district was held in the new building.The Members of Parliament Mr. Gilbert and Mr.Bagster were the honoured guests who had been met at the Owen Railway Station and driven to Wild Horse Plains.
After the speeches the people gathered in front of the building where Mr Addison was presented with the key by Mr.Barr. Mr Addison thanked the officers of the Institute fot the honour and wished great enjoyment for the community within the walls of the Institute.
The picnic held in the adjoining grounds saw an attendance of over 600 people enjoying the sporting events. In the evening the tea and an entertainment programme continued the celebration. At the close of the entertainment a supper was held which was followed by a ball.
Over the years the Institute held many different functions. On April 23rd 1919 a welcome home social was tendered to Privates G. Ranko and L. Cornford. Mr A.B. Moore presided over a large attendance and addresses were given by the chairman and Messrs H.P. McArdle, F. McArdle, C. Rundle, F. Wilkins and W. Dunlop. On behalf of the Inkerman friends Mr G. Peters presented Private Ranko with a gold watch.
Related Articles |
Memories of Wild Horse Plains Institute
A record was launched at the Wild Horse Plains Institute in late 1960's early 1970's with Greg Champion as one of the muso's and with the assistance of Trev Warner was recorded in a Adelaide studio .Can you assist with any more info???
Do you remember Wild Horse Plains Institute ? Then Join up and add your memory here.
Print
Subscribe by RSS
