Difference between revisions of "Mallala Old Mill"
m (Text replace - "<(.*)flickr>" to "") |
m (1 revision: modified since backup) |
(No difference)
| |
Revision as of 04:48, 7 March 2012
| Also known as: | Mallala Flour Mill |
|---|---|
| Address: | 1 Dublin Road |
| Town or Locality: | Mallala |
| Year constructed: | "{{{Date approximate}}}" is not recognized as a Boolean (true/false) value. 1970/01/01
|
| By: | Mallala Milling Company |
| Used for: | Flour Mill; chaff mill; manufacturing; paint shed; museum |
- "{{{Site type}}}" is not in the list of possible values (Land section, Landmark, Natural feature) for this property.
- "{{{Date approximate}}}" is not recognized as a Boolean (true/false) value.
The building now housing the Mallala Museum was originally erected in 1878 to be operated as a flour mill. As the nearest flour mill was in Two Wells, the Mallala Milling Company was formed to process the grain locally.
A capital of £10,000 was decided upon and 2,000 shares were available for purchase at £5 each.
It was financed by the local farmers, and it is reported that Samuel Chivell invested heavily in the project.
James Martin & Co. in Gawler were the successful tenderers to build the mill and machinery.
The three story mill was built of hammer-dressed limestone with brick quoins and cement dressing. At the rear of the building was a shed which contained a large Cornish boiler 26 feet long and 5 feet 6 inches in diameter. This drove a horizontal engine of 22 horsepower. Samuel Chivell's daughter Mary Ann laid the foundation stone.
The Mill was formally opened by Mr W. Cavenagh MP on Tuesday 18 March 1879.
On 2 September 1880, the boiler exploded, damaging the works and the chimney. The chimney was rebuilt with several steel bands placed around the top, for extra strength. The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser reported the incident: 'A boiler burst to-day at Cowan's mill at Mallala. The engine and boiler houses were completely destroyed. Tho engine-driver was in the engine-house at the time, but escaped with a few bruises.'
Unfortunately, although it was a necessary facility, it did not prove profitable. The Mill only operated until 1887.
The difficulties and cost associated with the transportation of the goods were the limiting factors which forced its closure.
The mill was then purchased by Deland and Black and the equipment was dismantled and transported to Blyth.
Council records show that Mr J.J. East, policeman and brother to Mathew Henry East, purchased the property in 1887 and it was later used by East Bros & Co. Ltd.
In 1948 the tall chimney at the rear of the mill was demolished by the owners East Bros & Co. Ltd.
East Bros used the building for storage and a paint shop until 1969. Then after the formation of the Mallala & Districts Historical Society the building was used by them as a Museum.
The District Council of Mallala purchased the building when East Bros & Co. closed in 1970 to enable it to continue to be utilised as a Museum. The new Museum was officially opened in 1971.
The building is now listed on the State Heritage Register.
Related Articles
- Opening of Old Mill
- In the Mallala Museum are housed 'The specifications of works to be done in erecting a Flour Mill at Mallala for the Milling Company, according to plans & specifications prepared for that purpose by D Garlick Architect of Adelaide'.
- The museum also holds the original plan drawings for the Mill.
External Links
References
- Mallala Museum Files
- State Heritage Register




Print
Subscribe by RSS
